Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pumpkin Cupcakes with Maple Cream Goat Cheese Icing

Original recipe from Gluten Free Goddess

It's that time of the year again. The time to do things with pumpkin!

Personally, I don't love eating punkin things, but I do love the way it smells when it's baking! (I think it's the spices heating up that make that yummy smell)

So when I ran across Pumpkin Cupcakes recipe on Gluten Free Goddess, I had to make the cupcakes. But, I had to make some modifications.

She really is a master at making gluten free yummy baked goods. But, I am also baking for health and well-being of a small boy, so I wanted the recipe to be a little bit more healthy.

I modified her original recipe in the following ways: I changed from just brown rice flour to a combination of rice and barley. I took away most of the starch, as I don't feel that it adds any nutritional value and instead added teff to boost the calcium and amaranth for protein content.

I left out white sugar all together, and also left out the fat all together and instead added 1/2 cup more pumkin.

Also, I don't love using soy products, and can't use cow products, so I made the cream cheese frosting with chevre goat cheese.

These still came out amazing! I wish I could share the frosted cupcake picture with you, but they were eaten by a small person as soon as they were frosted!

Makes 12 cupcakes

Ingredients:

1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 barley flour
1/4 cup teff flour
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1/4 cup amaranth flour
1 cup organic sugar
1/4 cup Almond Flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 and 1/2 cups canned organic pumpkin (which is 1 can)
2 eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

For the icing:

2 oz chevre plain goat cheese
2 tsp maple syrup, or more
2 tbsp org powder sugar, or more


Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Wisk together all dry ingredicnce.

Add in pumpkin, eggs, and vanilla, and mix or beat with a blender.

Spoon the cake batter into the 12 cupcake liners and smooth out the tops.

Bake for 22 to 25 minutes or so, until the tops are firm but springy. Test with a toothpick.

Remove from pan. Cool. Hide!

Frost with:

2 oz chevre plain goat cheese
2 tsp maple syrup, or more
2 tbsp org powder sugar, or more.
Mix with a spoon or hand blender.

Frost. Eat. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment